Have you ever had a crazy long day and once you finally get home you just can’t decide whether to get in the shower or have a beer? I don’t have any scientific research to back this up but my guess is: that’s how someone discovered that washing your hair with beer is amazing.
Every few months I remember that I love washing my hair with beer and try it again and make a mental note to do it more often.
If you’ve never tried it before, just do it! Hopefully you’ll love it as much as I do.
What Kind of Beer Do You Use?
- I usually opt for the cheapest beer that I have on hand and have always had great results, no need to use craft/local – save that for drinking!
- I’ve also on occasion used a flavored beer that I tried but wasn’t a big fan of. Why does the fruity stuff always sound so so delicious but most of the time it ends up being kinda gross?
- If you ever only drink half of your beer, save the rest for your morning shower!
- It actually works better to use flat beer that’s been sitting out overnight because the carbonation isn’t great for your hair (carbon dioxide combined w/water can create hard water that has a high mineral content). If it’s straight out of the fridge – it’s cold and that’s not pleasant for your head.
How to Wash Your Hair with Beer
- Prep your beer wash (all of these prep steps are optional, you can just use beer out of the can/bottle if you want!)
- De-carbonate it – just let it sit out of the fridge for a few hours
- Mix with essential oils for added benefits, recommendations here
- If it is fresh out of the fridge and very cold – you can dilute it with warm water
- Shampoo your hair as normal (maybe lather up with this beer soap, too!)
- Slowly pour the beer on top of your head a little bit at a time and focus on the roots
- Massage it into your scalp as you go and for a for a few minutes after you’ve poured it all on our hair
- Finish with a bit of conditioner (optional, but makes it smell less like you’ve just walked out of a bar)
- Rinse again and style as usual
Benefits of Washing Your Hair With Beer
- Fulfills your hair’s mineral needs
- Increases softness
- Adds volume/strength
- It’s fun!
If washing your hair with beer sounds kind of cool but just seems too weird to pour a bottle on your head, maybe give this beer shampoo a try. CHEERS!